Sunday, September 23, 2007

Finalmente Sono Arrivata!

Finally making it to Firenze is indescribable. This place is a city that I have read and studied about for years and finally am seeing in person, because of this it feels distantly familiar but also incredibly exciting. I have spent the last three days living in a hotel in the center of Florence with the rest of the girls on my program, 23 Smithies in all. Our hotel was a two minute walk from the Sede (the Smith College Center) which is in la Piazza della Signoria, the original place of Michalangelo’s “David” and the place where it’s exact replica among many other beautiful buildings and works of art stand today. The view from the Sede is like looking at a picture book, in fact all of Florence is a picture book, but somehow when I try to capture it with my camera something is missing, it is impossible to impart the ancient grandiose significance that this place exudes.

The Sede’s central location is due to its longstanding tradition, Smith College was the first American college to open a center in Florence, and the first group of women were here in 1931. The last few days we have spent exploring Florence on our own, trying to disguise ourselves as natives instead of just one more of the hordes of American “turisti” that fill the streets daily. My language skills are a bit rusty thanks to the long summer break, but I feel surprisingly comfortable attempting to speak it with shopkeepers, waiters, and passersby. Mostly we have been trying to speak it with each other before our orientation classes begin Monday and we are given a much needed intensive refresher course. The bells of the Duomo have woken us up every morning at 7 a.m., and I have seen more art than ever in my life and I haven’t yet set foot in a museum.

Today I moved in with my host, Signora Dionisi, a single woman who lives in a beautiful home in the center of Florence. I live with one other Smith student since Signora Dionisi has a lot of room and there is also a student here from Switzerland, who seems very sweet, but does not have as much language background and so is very quiet. Signora Dionisi is amazing, hospitable, and so incredibly sweet, she started hugging us the moment we arrived and hasn’t stopped yet. My room is up above the rest of the house, kind of like a loft, and the bathroom that she has for the students is up here too. My little window looks out at a horizon of Florentine rooftops. She made us our first dinner tonight “Pasta al Ragu,” some salad, chicken, fruit and crème caramel for dessert; my director was right when she told us our host mom was the best cook in the program. Signora Dionisi also assured us her cooking would not make us fat, which after eating here for four days, is kind of a relief.

Today is the first day we don't have to do anything, so I am planning on taking some time to rest, I have a feeling it is all catching up with me. Our orientation classes begin Monday, a cooking class, language, art history and an introduction to the city with the grad student we knew last year at Smith, it should be wonderful!

No comments: